Thursday, November 26, 2015

The Clean Up Crew On Black Friday


We hit the ground running this year
Building endcaps and stackbases
Picking up all the bullshit,
The empty shrinkwraps and pieces of broken pallets
We've all done this before
Lost in that maelstrom of kinetic energy
That aftermath of human greed
That every Wal-Mart warrior knows
We
The clean up crew on Black Friday
Poor retail bastards
Hopped up on hydrocodone
Heartache
And hope for something
Anything
Just to get the hell out of that place

But it gets shorter every year
Black Friday
A mere shadow of its former glory
The legend we all love to hate
That great god of retail
But even gods can die
I have died every year
And been reborn
Emerging from the ashes
Of Black Friday

Yeah it ain't what it used to be
I guess no one wants to leave the house any more
And a part of me inside
Says stop looking back
But seven years in retail can change a man
And when I look back far enough
I see the way we used to be
I hear the howling of ancient wolves
And I feel sad
We're not much different now I think
Then the men and women who painted caves
On Black Friday
We're still foraging
Hunting
Gathering
Modern cavemen with nowhere to go anymore
But home
Back to our phones and computer screens
Wondering what it is that we're supposed to do

And when I remember all the assholes I had to work for
Over the years
I put my face between my hands
Lost in reverie
Marvelling at the fact
That even misery is worth weeping for
Life is that good
Seriously
Even in hell
Even here where everything is just all fucked up
Even here at Wal-Mart
Where the people go
On Black Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment