Friday, December 11, 2015

Tree Top Flyer


I guess it had been – what? - thirty years or more
when I found that old newspaper clipping
in my email
my dad again
only this time the clipping was about
his dad, my grandfather,
a man we never talked about much
someone I haven't thought about
for a while now
I guess family is like that sometimes

Grandpa
yeah, I haven't thought about you
in a long time now, have I?
Too long you could say
but it's not always wise they say
to disturb the dead
who dare to dream
but I have dared to dream
and tonight we will dream together
in the savage night
of the heart's wide wasted water
our own personal Lethe
of blood and memories
that forget to remember

You, the way I remember you,
that stubborn, persistent man
who organized his socks
so he never wore them on the wrong foot,
the man who never missed a church service,
that bastion of a conservatism
that drove us all away,
the man who never broke the rules,
the war had given you that I guess,
the big one, the big war,
the one that left dirt on your hands
and stony roots in your soul,
the one with the swastikas
and suicide bombers,
the one where you flew a plane,
the one where you got to come home
when half a generation didn't

Yeah it's no wonder you had to something to say
I guess we've got some
catching up to do now
you and I
grandfather and grandson
it's been a long fucking time
even though I know
you would hate my phrasing it that way
great lover of propriety and metrical form
that you were

yeah
that poetry thing again
you might be happy to know
that it's all your fault
at least that's the way I like to see it
after all it is
one hell of a legacy
by the shores of Gitchee Gumee and all
me as a child on your knee
listening to you recite
Hiawatha's Child,
in that baritone voice of yours
as it echoed down the hall,
fucking spellbound

yeah, you and I, we need to talk
that's for sure
we aren't so different, you and I,
we need to talk
about the newspaper clipping
the one from 1948
we need to talk about
how you got arrested
for buzzing the tree tops
at an altitude of fifty feet,
low enough for all of them
to feel the wind of the war on their faces,
while you tossed out political pamphlets
for the university students when the war was over
like the tree top flyer
in that song by Stephen Stills
only you weren't smuggling drugs that day
you were smuggling ideas
the way I smuggle them now
under the guise of poetry
where the fools won't find them
the wolves
the predators
and the wannabe Hitlers of our tender age

yeah, we're not so different,
you and I, these days
I find myself more like you every day
that stubborn
that meticulous
that sensitive
and that committed to all the wrong causes
for all the right reasons
while I grow more conservative
every day

I guess that one day soon
death will have us both again
it has to happen
and seeing you buzz the tree tops
in my heart's high night
I know that
we're all children when we die
we leave this world
the same way that we came into it
naked
alone
kicking and screaming
crying for the darkness of the womb
yet afraid to leave the light
where even the pain is better
than that one great unknown
it is the war that never ends
it is the war we never win

but when I see you flying low
I know that poetry
is the only way to talk about it
after all it was you
who taught me to love poetry
in the first place
by the shores of Gitchee Gumee
and even though I know
you would disapprove
of the mode of my expression
when I see you tree top flying
throwing political pamphlets in the wind
I know that that is the one
slightest of transgressions
you would easily forgive
because you too were unconventional once
as all young men are
because love and truth
transcend form anyway
and true words have the power
to resurrect the dead
regardless of how
they are put together

so let us
you and I
celebrate this tree top flight
one last time
as grandfather and grandson
while the night is still young
because time is fleeting
and we will not have this opportunity
again
And sometimes even the dead rest uneasy
The dead who dare to dream
When they have something to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment