Monday, December 14, 2015

Acts I (Lovers)

Acts I (Lovers)

(Wherein Job Is Ejaculated From The Sperm Whale)


She said there must be
some deep rooted trauma
in my past
for me to even make such a statement
and I said that she was probably right
but it didn't prove me wrong
in fact it just supported my argument
when I said
that Hemingway was right
when he compared love to a dung heap
upon which the cock crows

then I remember the slamming doors
the huffing and the puffing
that threatens to blow the house down
and I think that we
are like a different species
her and I
one of us quiet and dreaming
like the coral reef
the other loud and screaming
screaming at me
screaming at our child
screaming at car doors and windows and text messages
screaming at life
screaming at everything really
everything around her
a source of provocation
but she tells me all the time
that she is not an angry person

None of us are
I suppose
the animal,
it is inside us all
the cage,
it is our bodies
no one chooses to be this way
no one chooses to be locked up
no one chooses to be themselves
no one chooses the violence
of their bodies
it is a natural thing
puppets on a string
we dance the slow and awful waltz
to the time of a piano poorly played
missing all the notes at all the wrong times
as we try to sing along in the wrong key
no one chooses life
it is thrust upon us
an act of sexual violence
in which we play no part
this is the truth
that hammers our bodies

I watch her breasts rise and fall
huge pink areolas
for the tongue's taking
we are sharing a cigarette
she says she doesn't usually smoke
but with me
she's always doing things she doesn't do
I guess I'm just a bad habit
that people pick up that way
like cigarettes only easier to put down
or maybe I'm the one
that's hard to addict
it's hard to say
my eyes move down
to the patch between her legs
shaved into a slender charcoal line
like a landing strip
she's the first girl I've known
who shaved herself that way
and it brings out the animal in me
there's a look in her eyes
that says she wants to do it again
and I'm thinking
she is probably right
but it doesn't change things
nothing changes things
even change doesn't change things

a part of me
doesn't want to do it ever again
a part of me
sees sexual congress
as the ultimate act of selfishness
operating as it does
under the guise of altruism
it is a male thing I guess
even murder is more kind
by not pretending to be
something that it isn't
the act of sexual penetration
being the ultimate fuck you
that it is
every orgasm
like the emptying of a well
that leaves us parched
and waiting
the thirst that is never truly quenched

there is a violence
at the core of everything
that makes the world seem
more naturally abhorrent
more abominable
than even killers care for
it is the scream
at the heart of everything
to give even killers pause
it is what they look for
in the eyes of their victims
as they die
and never find
and don't want to when they do
it is the truth that ruins us all
a second, final time

the world is not what we would have it be
it is not what we think it is
and I look at her again
at the roundness of her ass
admiring its whiteness
as she turns on her stomach
to look at me
the trauma the violence
the scream at the heart of the world
raging inside of me
love and hate fused
in a single white hot
carnal moment
I can not resist
I hear the screaming
she hears the screaming
and it joins us now
we pretend that we can't hear it
but it has taken us anyway
unawares
unbidden
we are puppets on a string
and I look at her one last time
before I enter her again
not gentle this time
but hard
thrusting savagely
she doesn't seem to mind
the animal again
the violence
the primal scream at the heart of everything
just as nature intended
and it frightens me again
just as it always has

it exhausts us both
and rolling on our sides
we go back to the place we came from
knowing
always knowing
that there is a separation
between us all
that can not be breached
our bodies are cages
to which no one
not lovers not even love itself
can hold the the keys
the keys that jingle and jangle
just out of arm's length
eternally, like a punishment,
a sentence,
the bars of our flesh
simply do not yield
only oblivion can set us free
and as I slip into dream
where all past lovers merge
into a single faceless creature,
that single undifferentiated primal force,
I ponder once again this thing
that is the truth of us.

    • 12/14/15



No comments:

Post a Comment