Tuesday, December 1, 2015

God Fearing Thieves

We spent the night stocking
Blue rays and DVDs
Tossing them one by one
In the bargain bins
Scanning UPCs
And hunting modular locations
Like Easter eggs

When I saw it
A small white copy
Of the movie Do You Believe
A primer of Christian fundamentalism
I assumed
Then I noticed that it had been cut open

The DVD inside was missing
Stolen
And I wondered
What kind of Christian lifts a DVD?
The God fearing kind I suppose
But you have to wonder
What goes through the minds
Of God fearing thieves

I suppose it's possible
That they didn't know stealing was wrong
Not having seen the movie yet
Or maybe they were stealing it for someone
To impress them or something
Or maybe it was just the thrill of transgression
Or maybe they just had a profound appreciation
For the irony of it all

Its hard to know for sure
But as for me
I like to think they did it
Just to fuck with people's heads
Since not being a God fearing man myself
It's the only thing that makes sense
In my own little personal
Fucked up world

But in the end I'll never know
It's just another one of life's mysteries
Like locks on doors
Like the sound of birds
Like watching your step father slowly die
For three whole days
While outside the quiet
Of the hospital womb
The tornados raged in a town
That had never known tornados

I guess we're all thieves in a way
God fearing or not
Thieves of time
Thieves of flesh
Thieves of life itself
Every moment we enjoy
Existing at the expense of some other living thing
So I guess
In the end
One more missing DVD
Isn't going to make much difference anyway

For now it's enough to know
That the mystery itself is enough
Enough to know
That in the end
No one really owns anything at all
And that information
Is more important to me
Than another useless prohibition
Or fundamentalist Christian primer
That fails to explain the problem in the first place
Much less justify its own existence
Or ours even

No comments:

Post a Comment