Tuesday, December 1, 2015

300


300 Spartan warriors
Defending Greece
against the hordes of Xerxes
And I can't even find a better job
And sometimes my car keys

Now when I think
about old world heroism
Everything about my life
Stands in stark contrast
Skinny fat guys
Don't set off lunk alarms I guess

No, I am no Spartan warrior
I am instead
Cowardly
Lazy
Self-indulgent
And easily defeated
With a tendency towards compromise

Perhaps one day though
When the time is right
I'll raise my singing sword of flame
And take the field
While the cheering crowd
Sings its timely and unfortunate hallelujah
In my head
Leaving corpses in my wake
A trail of blood for the troubadours
Screaming freedom or some shit

Maybe one day
But probably not
So until then
I'll just be one lonely guy
In the modern age
With no illusions about his place
In the grand scheme of things
Singing his sad no songs
For the tone blind

No comments:

Post a Comment