Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I-75 In The Gloom

Autumn has not come and built a room.
The windy hills are not less mighty things.
I-75 is not gathering in the gloom.

My eyes are not as willful as the rain.
I do not think the ground has touched the sky,
(my heart is not a blind, unseeing thing.)

Far off like hills that beckon blood to fly,
the high and windy leaves aren’t what they seem.
They are not there to make me wonder why:

only in sleep do I approach the dream.
The high and windy hills of Tennessee
do not retain the echo of a scream

I did not propagate so suddenly
to wrap around the world (and build a wall.)
I analyze its abscence – just to see:

the world, it did not spin here like a ball.
These things – they did not happen here at all.

     - Spring, 1991

No comments:

Post a Comment